Friday 15 January 2016

Vegetarian week!

If you have been reading my previous posts, it would be easy for you to understand why my husband and I are giving ourselves a vegetarian week (turned out to be 2 weeks in a row).

Meat is tasty, but every once in a while, having vegetarian meals feels like a breath of fresh air.  I don't know if our take on vegetarian meals are healthy enough, but at least our minds felt detoxed!

Let's not put an equal sign between vegetarian food and dull, there are one too many ways to make veggie tastes great - well, I am not a great cook but I do hope sharing my recipes will excite your taste buds.

Here is the 2nd recipe of my 'cook whatever in the fridge' series.




Tofu Steak Pasta (serves 2)


150g pasta of your choice (I used whole wheat fusilli in below)
50g snap peas
1 red pepper, chopped
6 thick slices of tofu (about 100g)
1 avocado, sliced
a handful of pine nut
1 large egg
salt and black pepper for seasoning
2 tbsp olive oil 
pesto sauce (optional)

Bring a pan of water to boil, pour in the fusilli and simmer for 12 mins and season with 1 tbsp salt, drain and drizzle with 1 - 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil, set aside.

In a small pan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil and sprinkle with salt on the tofu and fry both sides until golden brown, set aside.

In a separate pan, toast the pine nuts until they turn slightly brown and fragrant.

Beat the egg and fry it flat on the pan, so it becomes a very thin piece, remove it onto a chopping board, fold it twice and carefully slice it into egg strips. 

For the snap peas, slightly fry them on the pan for 1 min, they taste better when they are crispy.

Place the fusilli in a bowl, add salt and pepper to season, mix well (you may use pesto sauce if preferred), place all the prepared ingredients on top and lastly the egg strips.  There you go, a bowl of yummy tofu steak pasta!


I am a huge fan of tofu, so I really enjoyed biting into the thick slice! yum!



No comments:

Post a Comment